What recourse do I have against state probation officials for retaliative and bullying acts?

Raleigh, NC |

I am serving a probation sentence and went to a state senator to open an inquiry into the manner in which I have been treated. Part of my complaint was about my probation officer's flirts and inquiries about the relationship with my boyfriend, both of which are inappropriate. A few weeks later, I was informed that my case was being sent back to the state from which I transferred via Interstate Compact.

Is this type of retaliation legal? I know it's not ethical, but these probation officials could care less about doing what is legal or ethical. They hide behind the protections of cronyism. What recourse do I have?

Just relax and hope your new probation officer is much better. I am not even sure this is retaliation.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

You can contact your state senator through, but I highly doubt anyone over there will do much, especially now when they are all busy with budget matters.

If your case is moving back to your sending state, then are you moving, too? If not, then you'll still be on probation here and will have to make nice with this probation officer.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.