What recourse do I have against a car seller who will not provide a smog certificare

Asked about 2 years ago - Redding, CA

Seller verbally assurred my husband and I that the vehicle passed smog recebtly and wants to return our monet

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Martin S Putnam

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is illegal in California to sell a car without a current smog certificate. This is the seller's responsibility, not the buyer's. If the vehicle does not have such a certificate, you should be able to return the car and get your money back. If you would like to consult further on this matter, feel free to contact me at my office number, which is 800-517-2877.

    Disclaimer: The information provided in this answer is for information only and does not constitute legal advice,... more
  2. Scott Richard Kaufman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Mr. Putnam is correct in his assessment and you should call him. He is an experienced auto fraud atty and will do a nice job for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,037 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,037 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering