What reasons can be given to object to a witness in a employment matter before the hearing?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

In a retaliation claim, a personal assistant of the former manager is being brought in to testify my performance (the retaliation claim is valid legally). What a are some good reasons to object before the hearing?

Also there are some parties who are involved in the reports that I made - they are also being brought in to testify on performance when the complain is about retaliation. What are some good grounds to object any of these circumstances before the hearing?

What reasons people typically give to object to a witness (from being admitted)? Any other tips?
Is conflict of interest is a valid basis? If it is bias, what need to provided to establish bias?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

16

Answered . I think that you misunderstand the potential utility of this Q and A service, and that you are being unrealistic in what you can reasonably expect to accomplish through posts here. The questions you ask cannot be reliably answered on the basis of these scant details. These are the tough questions of in-the-trenches trial practice. All possible answers depend on the circumstances.

It is very clear that you need an attorney, even if just for an hour or so of consultation.

2. Neil Pedersen

14

Answered . Your post is woefully void of the facts needed to give guidance about your situation. Generally, precluding a percipient witness from trial is very hard.

A few basic reasons you might be able to use to preclude a witness include (1) The witness was not included on the pre-trial witness list and is being presented for testimony other than impeachment, (2) the witness was known to the other side when it answered discovery that clearly called for the identity of the witness, but they intentionally withheld the name to prevent you from learning of the witness, (3) after an offer of proof, the judge determines that the witness' testimony is irrelevant to the issues of the case, (4) the witness testimony is cumulative and would involve an undue consumption of time, weighed against the probative value of the evidence to be provided, (5) the testimony of the witness would be too prejudicial compared to the probative value of the testimony to be offered, (6) the witness' testimony is not based on personal knowledge and there are no hearsay exemptions or exceptions that would allow the witness to testify, (7) the witness is not competent to testify (either because of age or mental state), and perhaps several more.

Conflict of interest and bias are not a reason to preclude a witness. Credibility is a key component to every witness being presented, and things like bias and conflict of interest, if proven within the trial, are some of the best ways to challenge a witness' credibility. However you do that within the context of the witness examination, and through other witnesses and then argue to the judge or the jury at the end of the trial that the testimony of the witness should not be trusted or believed because of the conflict of interest or bias you demonstrated.

This is very complicated stuff and many attorneys shy away from trial because of the complexity. If you think you can satisfactorily engage in a trial, you are deluding yourself and you are going to hurt your case by doing so. Find an attorney to represent you in the trial, or at least to shadow you to assist you with this process.

Good luck to you.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

15

Answered . Hopefully a person who has never flown a plane before would never attempt to fly a commercial jetliner, and as the plane is hurtling down the runway for takeoff, post questions on a website "what do I do now, how do I get the speeding plane's nose up?" You need to retain an experienced employment attorney who knows the process. Otherwise, having read AVVO posts for years, you will be one of the posters asking something to the effect that "now that I have lost my case, how do I appeal the ruling against me?"

Click Blue Link Below for Article on Rule of Evidence:

4. Marilynn Mika Spencer

9

Answered . I agree emphatically with the three previous answers your received. I write to add that we also have no idea what kind of employment matter you have or what forum you are in. Are you in state court? Federal court? Appellate court? An California Employment Development Department (EDD) / Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board hearing? A Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (Labor Commissioner) hearing? Workers' compensation?

It all matters.

5. David Andrew Mallen

6

Answered . Simple Tip: ask the witness, in a very polite way, how long she has worked for the company, whether she likes her job (yes), whether she likes her boss (yes), whether her family depends on her income for household expenses, and how long she intends to keep working for the company.

A good lawyer will gently ask these questions and not beat up a witness who is in this no-win situation. You don't need to object to witness testimony, and you don't need a megaphone to show possible witness bias.

You would benefit from having experienced trial counsel on your side.

Best regards,

David A. Mallen
    310.895.0107