What reason would a police officer take a license plate?

San Jose, CA |

Why would a police officer take a vehicle license plate off a friend’s car? Can I drive her vehicle home?

1. The police routinely take license plate numbers just in case something happens later and they need to remember that number.

Yes, you can drive "her" car, whatever that means.

2. I disagree with New York attorney Theodore Robinson, who appears not to have understood the question.

You state that the police officer took the license plate itself (not just the number). I have no idea why he/she did this, but in any event, you may not drive a car without the proper plates.

3. The police can confiscate plates if they are fraudulent, are not for that vehicle, or are evidence in a case (such as a false registration sticker situation).

No, you can't drive without 2 plates on the car. Both a front and rear plate are required under Vehicle Code section 5200.

I am in 100% agreement with Mr. Kaman - please ignore comments from attorneys not licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the question is posed. They're usually guessing. Worse, they're often wrong (as is the first answer...).