What questions can I and my witneses be expected to answer at my minors name change hearing?

Asked about 3 years ago - Austin, MN

Father disagrees with name change and trying to prepair myself. Im in the state of MN

1. Eric Carlisle Nelson

Pro

Answered . Why do you want to change this child's name?
    Don't you think it will be confusing for the child to suddenly have to go by a new name?
    How do you think it is in the child's best interests to have his name changed?
    Is this more for you or for the child?
    Why are you trying to cut Dad out of this child's life?

2. Amanda Anne Bloomgren

Answered . The analysis for a name change is the best interest of the children. the Court looks at the effect of the change on the preservation and development of the child's relationship with his or her parent, the length of time the child has borne a given name, the degree of community respect associated with the present and proposed surname, and the difficulties, harassment, or embarrassment the child may experience from bearing the present or proposed surname.

You should be prepared to answer questions regarding each of these factors. Also, if the Dad is contesting the change, depending on the county, the court may appoint a guardian ad litem to analyze the best interest factors. This means your initial hearing will just be an appointment of the guardian and then it will be set later for an evidentiary hearing where you have to address each of the factors.

This may be a case where you do want to seek legal assistance in helping you analyze the best interests factors.