What question does defense lawyers ask when you in litigation

Schenectady, NY |
Filed under: Litigation

first time in litigation what can of questions would the defense ask since this is my first ever accident and its waste management fault totaling my truck i know they follow me every where i go but not lately but still look out for them watching me.

1. Lawyers are probably looking to verify if any injuries sustained in your accident are real, whether your medical treatment for any of those injuries is necessary (and not just an attempt to run up expenses), and to investigate any other facts which may relate to your claims. If you are honest, are seeing credible medical professionals, and aren't exaggerating your injuries, you should be fine.

Your own attorney can provide you with more information as to the types of questions the other side will ask you.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

2. If you don't have an attorney, you should get one. A good personal injury attorney is needed. Once you have retained an attorney, that attorney will prepare you for depositions, and let you know the types of questions to expect. They will ask you questions concerning the accident, your injuries, treatment, etc.. Please retain someone. They will be in the best position to answer your questions and help you.

3. Certainly there will be questions concerning the manner in which your accident occurred. You don't indicate if this is a bodily injury or property damage case or both but you will be asked questions concerning the nature and extent of your injuries or damage and the treatment and/or repairs that were required. If you are a defendant, the attorney assigned to you by your insurance company should be addressing this with you prior to giving testimony. If you are a plaintiff, you should really consider hiring an attorney. If you have one already, he/she should be discussing this with you.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

4. You need to refine your question a bit. If you mean at a deposition there are only a few limits. Questions solely designed to harass you should be stopped by your lawyer. But questions that would successfully be objected to on the grounds of relevancy at trial are permitted at deposition.

5. I take it from your question that you are a plaintiff. If you have your own attorney, you should be asking him these questions. If you don't have one, get a personal injury lawyer immediately.

6. They can ask you anything that is relevant to the accident or your injuries sustained as a result of the accident, as well as your prior medical history.

7. Ask your attorney who is familiar with the particular facts of the case. If you don't have one, then I suggest you get one immediately.

8. Contact a local personal injury lawyer to represent you if you have been injured. If you are not injured, then your insurance company will provide an attorney to defend you. If you are just seeking damages to your vehicle, then consult with a local attorney. At depositions they have a lot of latitude. They will want to know how the accident occurred, what your injuries are, what type of medical treatment received and proof of lost wages..

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

9. You can be asked anything. But you do not necessarily have to answer everything.

Disclaimer: Any information provided through this forum is meant merely for informational purposes and is not legal/medical/tax advice. No attorney-client relationship exists as a result of this communication and to establish such a relationship, a potential client must enter into a written contract with the attorney. This attorney has not agreed to handle your case, nor will he do so until you have signed a written retainer agreement which outlines the obligations of both parties.

Litigation topics