What question does defense lawyers ask when you in litigation

Asked over 1 year ago - Schenectady, NY

first time in litigation what can of questions would the defense ask since this is my first ever accident and its waste management fault totaling my truck i know they follow me every where i go but not lately but still look out for them watching me.

1. Craig A. Post

17

1

Answered . Certainly there will be questions concerning the manner in which your accident occurred. You don't indicate if this is a bodily injury or property damage case or both but you will be asked questions concerning the nature and extent of your injuries or damage and the treatment and/or repairs that were required. If you are a defendant, the attorney assigned to you by your insurance company should be addressing this with you prior to giving testimony. If you are a plaintiff, you should really consider hiring an attorney. If you have one already, he/she should be discussing this with you.

2. David Michael Kasell

Pro

15

Answered . You need to refine your question a bit. If you mean at a deposition there are only a few limits. Questions solely designed to harass you should be stopped by your lawyer. But questions that would successfully be objected to on the grounds of relevancy at trial are permitted at deposition.

3. Robert K. Erlanger

14

Answered . I take it from your question that you are a plaintiff. If you have your own attorney, you should be asking him these questions. If you don't have one, get a personal injury lawyer immediately.

4. Edwin Drantivy

12

1

Answered . They can ask you anything that is relevant to the accident or your injuries sustained as a result of the accident, as well as your prior medical history.

5. Josh P Tolin

13

1

Answered . If you don't have an attorney, you should get one. A good personal injury attorney is needed. Once you have retained an attorney, that attorney will prepare you for depositions, and let you know the types of questions to expect. They will ask you questions concerning the accident, your injuries, treatment, etc.. Please retain someone. They will be in the best position to answer your questions and help you.

6. Mark Copoulos

Pro

13

Answered . Ask your attorney who is familiar with the particular facts of the case. If you don't have one, then I suggest you get one immediately.

7. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

11

Answered . Contact a local personal injury lawyer to represent you if you have been injured. If you are not injured, then your insurance company will provide an attorney to defend you. If you are just seeking damages to your vehicle, then consult with a local attorney. At depositions they have a lot of latitude. They will want to know how the accident occurred, what your injuries are, what type of medical treatment received and proof of lost wages..

8. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

11

Answered . Lawyers are probably looking to verify if any injuries sustained in your accident are real, whether your medical treatment for any of those injuries is necessary (and not just an attempt to run up expenses), and to investigate any other facts which may relate to your claims. If you are honest, are seeing credible medical professionals, and aren't exaggerating your injuries, you should be fine.

Your own attorney can provide you with more information as to the types of questions the other side will ask you.

9. Gian M. Fanelli

7

Answered . You can be asked anything. But you do not necessarily have to answer everything.