What qualifies as poor representation by an attorney?

Gulfport, MS |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I do not feel I have been represented in an adequate manner. The only time I have talked to my attorney is in the 30 minutes prior to going before the Judge. I originally had a public defender; I then asked to be allowed to obtain a private attorney. He was there in the courtroom and informed the Judge he would be representing me. He later asked the Judge for a continuence so he could review medical records. We then went back before the Judge and my attorney then asked for a presentencing report. In two days we go back before the Judge. I have heard nothing from my attorney.Attempts to meet with him are always followed with me being told, he's out sick,he's out of town on a case,"I'll check and get back to you." I am very afraid and would appreciate any opinion one may have.

Ask a friend or family member if they know a good lawyer, and even if he/she is not a criminal attorney, the lawyer can check for you on what your current lawyer is/is not doing. Do it sooner rather than later.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics