Skip to main content

What punishments should I expect for misdemeanor marijuana posession in Fulton County Georgia? Do I need a lawyer?

Duluth, GA |

A friendly neighbor called the police while I was parked in my neighborhood clubhouse. The police came and searched my car, and found less than one ounce of marijuana. He gave me a citation and a court date. I did some research and found that possession of less than one ounce (first offense) with no intent to sell can get me a probation without a fine. Also, after a successful completion of my probation, all charges will be dropped. Do I still need to show up in court with a lawyer?

*by the way I am 19 years old and do not work, so I can't afford a lawyer. Also, will my license get suspended? If I show up in court without a lawyer, will it increase my probation/fine or possibly of jail time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Depends on MANY factors, including: (1) Your prior record; (2) Quantity of marijuana; (3) at what point you get an attorney involved to help you negotiate a deal --- best time is BEFORE the first court appearance; (4) you may be eligible for some form of conditional discharge treatment -- and this is very favorable and suitable for many cases.
if you cannot afford an attorney, Fulton County MUST appoint one for you.


Dave Clark has written a book called "101 Ways to Beat a Marijuana Charge in Georgia" that might help you understand your situation better. You can read an excerpt from it on our website and find out how to get your own copy. Please see:

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer