What protects undercover operations?

Greensboro, NC |

If a person is being stalked via instant messaging, and the victim request their computer to be scanned, the police find that a keylogger had been placed on her computer so the suspect could find out her information every time she changed it. The police pretending to be the victim set up a new instant messaging account, when the suspect began sending new instant messages the police was able to keep the conversation going, which lead officers to trace the computer. What is the support for the investigative technique used to trace the instant message communication

The police get a lot of information from Internet service providers, either with a subpoena or just a request. These records are controlled by the third party, not the suspect, and the provider can decide on its own whether to provide the info requested.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.