What proof and evidence is needed to convict someone of viewing child pornography online?

Lemoyne, PA |
Filed under: Internet law

I have viewed legal images of nudists on a website for the past several months and I believe I may have came across some questionable content. I opened a page and viewed some of the images but it wasn't until I saw the face that I realized it was an underage girl. It happened to me a few times and I finally decided I'm not going to visit that site again. There are tons of legal pics and photography but the illegal ones are mixed in. I know it is not illegal to accidentally view the material but how would I prove it was an accident? What do they need to get a search warrant for my pc? I have been in a panic because I know law enforcement would try to convict me even if it was an accident and I know it can take years before they show up at your door.

Just possessing it is enough. Just looking at it is enough. They can tell where you've been on your computer no matter how much you "scrub". If I came across something like this accidentally, I'd inform the FBI right away that these sites had inappropriate material regarding children.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

While I agree with lawyer Sargeant, I do have one extra comment.

I suggest you speak to an attorney before contacting the FBI. I always suggest to potential clients that they should never enter the legal arena without a lawyer by their side. You never know what unintended consequences you could run in to.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Use the "Find a Lawyer" tab on this site and choose someone from your locale. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Internet law topics