What probate form do I use to close an estate in Michigan because the estate is insolvent? Further, when do I file the form?

Asked 7 months ago - Sarasota, FL

I managed to recover a little more cash than the expenses for administration and burial. The claims that I expect for her trailer and car she had will be more than the remaining cash. My plan is to divide the remaining cash against any medical bills and this will make the estate insolvent. I live in Florida and the estate is in Michigan. Informal estate. I have to submit an inventory for payment of the inventory fee. The car has been turned into the lien holder, a bank, and they will send it to auction and then submit a claim. The trailer she lived in is in similar shape except I haven't contact the bank yet, but it is upside down as well.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Daniel Charles Parri

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I'm not sure if this question showed up in my view because you live in Florida or if you asked the question in the Florida probate section, but this questioned needs to be answered by a Michigan probate attorney. Probates are different in each state and furthermore, Florida doesn't have a DIY probate process like some other states. Good luck.

  2. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will either need to contact an attorney in MI (you can repost your question under that jurisdiction) or Google the Michigan Estates and Protected Individuals Code, aka EPIC (enacted in 2000). Every state has their own probate code that you must follow. Good luck.

    My answer is of a general nature and should not be construed to be legal advice nor creating an attorney-client... more
  3. David Michael Platt

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am licensed in Michigan. My suggestion is that you hire a Michigan licensed attorney to help you through this. The Michigan Probate Code sets for specific classes of creditors who have priority in an insolvent estate. You simply cannot ask to close the informal administration of the estate when there are issues open (such as the disposition of the trailer). The Sworn Statement to close an informal probate contains a statement where you would swear that you have fully administered the estate, and paid or disposed of all claims. This is not the case, so you cannot file this statement yet. Even though Michigan does not require that you hire an attorney (as is the case in Florida), it is still wise to do so, or you may find that you have significant personal liability if you improperly administer the estate.

  4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Repost your question for Michigan.
    AVVO has a lot of Michigan probate attorneys answering questions.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,183 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,183 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering