Skip to main content

What privileges will my mother give up if she gives up guardianship but I am over 18?

Wahiawa, HI |

In order to live off campus, my school requires that I live with a legal guardian. However, I am over 18. My mother is looking to transfer guardianship to my sister who is 24 who will be living with me. We are very confused about what 'guardianship' is here because I am 19 year old and don't actually have a need for a legal guardian.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This makes no sense since guardianship of a minor in Hawaii ends when the minor becomes 18. The only other guardianship is if one is incapacitated. You do not say where the school is - but in most, if not all states, guardianship of a minor ends at 18. Unless you have some type of disability that renders you as an incapacitated person, the court would reject a petition for guardianship. Check with the school again - see what the school means by "legal guardian." It appears that you don't need one and can't get one. Good luck.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer