What preventive meassure can I take to protect a start-up business (Corp.) with two partners should either party get a divorce?

Asked 7 months ago - Beverly Hills, CA

My business partner and I are starting a business (Corporation) and she is also getting married and I too am headed in the same direction. With the divorce rate what it is today, I worry about the repercussions of divorce and the effect it could have on our business. Mainly, the jeopardy we would be in regarding majority shares. Would the spouse of either partner be entitled to shares or have any stake in the Corporation?

1. Phillip Monroe Smith

9

Answered . You should conract an attorney and have a shareholders agreement drafted that contains provisions governing the rights of the founders (the two of you) to purchase the shares from the other shareholder if certain events occur. There are many reasons and provisioins that are contained in a shareholders agreement which should be drafted at the onset of the formation of a corporation. Seek a business attorney who can advise you on the typical provisions in a shareholder's agreements.

Hope this helps!

2. Sagar P. Parikh

7

Answered . Consult with an attorney who can draft a shareholder's agreement for you and your partner.

3. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . Whenever an entity has two or more "owners" they need a "buy-sell" agreement to provide a formula for valutation and sale in the event of death, permanent disability, or desire to retire. Often there is a right of first refusal in the event of a third party sale. Other triggering events, such as divorce can be customized for your needs. Without such an agreement there is no public market for the equity - you may want to sell (or or in your case force a sale) and there may be to willing buyer.

If the equity in the company is deemed community property, the court would otherwise have the option to divide "in kind" as opposed to valuing for an equalization of community property.

4. David Alan King

2

Answered . As others indicate, you should use a corporate attorney to draft a buy-sell agreement, and you should both have your spouses sign a consent of spouse accepting the terms of the buy-sell. To have a higher level of comfort that your buy-sell agreement and the spousal consents will be fully enforced in family court you and your partner should both have prenuptial agreements.

5. Terrence Jay Moore

Pro

1

Answered . You need a buy sell agreement which states that should that if there is a divorce the divorcing spouse has no right to either share. This is a common clause between owners of companies who have spouses. However, make sure the spouses sign off on the agreement.

The above is not meant as legal advice but an illustration.