Skip to main content

What precautions can I take so that people shouldn't sue me if anything happens on my property?

New City, NY |
Filed under: Property liability

If i make an event on my property but I don't want to have to compensate anyone for anything that happens on my property what precautions can I take for that not to happen?

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Best answer

    You can get one time event coverage for the event if you are concerned that your homeowner's insurance would not cover the type of injury possible at the event or the policy coverage is too small. If you really want to avoid being sued, convince a friend to have the event at his place.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  2. Way too vague of a question. Perform your due diligence -- examine the locale of the event and make sure that there are no potential hazards. Make sure that your property is safe. Depending on the type of event, further precautions can be taken.

    McGrath Law Firm, PLLC Buffalo, NY Attorney-Client Relationship - The materials provided on this website are intended for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended and should not be interpreted or considered legal advice. The information provided by this site is not an invitation to an attorney-client relationship. A reader of this site should not rely on the information provided here for any purpose. Readers are reminded to always seek legal advice from an attorney duly licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction. Additionally, any communication via e-mail, phone, or other form, are not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between this firm and any third party. Legal Warranty - This website provides general information and may not reflect all current legal developments. You should not take action based on the information provided by this website. The law is ever changing, and facts and circumstances are critical to assessing a legal claim; therefore, information provided by this site may not be applicable to your particular situation, and should not be perceived as legal advice or opinion.

  3. I agree with my colleague, your question is too vague. You should keep your property safe, which is the best way to avoid a lawsuit. You may also invest in insurance for the event, incase a problem does arise and you are sued.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. Thank you and good luck.

  4. Purchase a large insurance policy.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  5. Save, reasonable and prudent.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  6. I agree with my colleague, your question is far too vague. Look at your property and identify dangerous conditions and remedy them. Aside from that, if you hold an event on your property and someone is injured due to negligence you can still be sued.

    Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

  7. Contact a local insurance agent to assist in obtaining large insurance policy limits to cover special event - also, depending on the nature of the event obtain security, etc etc

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  8. Get an umbrella insurance policy and stop worrying.

  9. My colleagues are correct, your question is very vague. The best answer is definitely to get yourself a large insurance policy and not worry about it. Do a thorough inspection of your property and repair any dangers/defects too.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics