What precautions can I take so that people shouldn't sue me if anything happens on my property?

Asked over 1 year ago - New City, NY

If i make an event on my property but I don't want to have to compensate anyone for anything that happens on my property what precautions can I take for that not to happen?

1. Peter McGrath

14

Answered . Way too vague of a question. Perform your due diligence -- examine the locale of the event and make sure that there are no potential hazards. Make sure that your property is safe. Depending on the type of event, further precautions can be taken.

2. Joshua Richmond Lippes

13

Answered . I agree with my colleague, your question is too vague. You should keep your property safe, which is the best way to avoid a lawsuit. You may also invest in insurance for the event, incase a problem does arise and you are sued.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

12

Answered . Save, reasonable and prudent.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

11

Answered . Purchase a large insurance policy.

5. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with my colleague, your question is far too vague. Look at your property and identify dangerous conditions and remedy them. Aside from that, if you hold an event on your property and someone is injured due to negligence you can still be sued.

6. Marco Caviglia

7

Best Answer

Answered . You can get one time event coverage for the event if you are concerned that your homeowner's insurance would not cover the type of injury possible at the event or the policy coverage is too small. If you really want to avoid being sued, convince a friend to have the event at his place.

7. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

8

Answered . Get an umbrella insurance policy and stop worrying.

8. Joseph Nicholas Armao

8

Answered . My colleagues are correct, your question is very vague. The best answer is definitely to get yourself a large insurance policy and not worry about it. Do a thorough inspection of your property and repair any dangers/defects too.

9. Michael R Crosner

9

Answered . Contact a local insurance agent to assist in obtaining large insurance policy limits to cover special event - also, depending on the nature of the event obtain security, etc etc