What petition form do we complete for a ny state ADULT ADOPTION-Does age matter?

Newburgh, NY |
Filed under: Child adoption

I am 40.He is 60.My parents abandoned me as a minor.He took me in 3 yrs. ago.We take care of each other.We live in a rural area.He is the provider.I am the homemaker.I literally have no blood in my life.I have no one to make the big decisions-not for many years.I am the only family he has here, too.His blood is far away, elderly, disabled, or deceased.He showed me kindness when others didn't.We wish to be acknowledged as kin.We want and need the rights that are respected by government towards kin.What are the court fees?How long can this take?I also don't want to send the courts the wrong idea about the nature of our relationship.I read something about incest laws, but I don't recall which state.

New York does not restrict the age of either party in an adult adoption. New York permits adult adoptions between any consenting adults, but a judge can, in his discretionary powers, rule to not allow any adult adoption. The length of time that an adult adoption can take varies greatly, as do the associated costs. An attorney would be able to help you with this. This will also likely help:

McGrath Law Firm, PLLC Buffalo, NY Attorney-Client Relationship - The materials provided on this website are intended for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended and should not be interpreted or considered legal advice. The information provided by this site is not an invitation to an attorney-client relationship. A reader of this site should not rely on the information provided here for any purpose. Readers are reminded to always seek legal advice from an attorney duly licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction. Additionally, any communication via e-mail, phone, or other form, are not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between this firm and any third party. Legal Warranty - This website provides general information and may not reflect all current legal developments. You should not take action based on the information provided by this website. The law is ever changing, and facts and circumstances are critical to assessing a legal claim; therefore, information provided by this site may not be applicable to your particular situation, and should not be perceived as legal advice or opinion.

Age is not a factor in an adult adoption. You must file a petition and then a Judge must hear the case in order to insure that the process has been followed. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Child adoption topics

Recommended articles about Child adoption