What penalty should I get for first offense forgery-uttering and obtain prescription by fraud. 1 count each?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, WI

Forgery is Class H felony and Obtain prescription by fraud is Class U Misd. The DA offered me a plea deal....1-plead guilty to felony forgery/2yrs probation and 2-plead guilty to 2 counts of obtain prescription by fraud misd/2yrs probation, 30 days in jail, AODA assessment and counseling. In my opinion these offers kind of suck. It was my first offense and have no prior record or history of abuse and a productive member of society. How do I get him to be more lenient on me?

1. Mark P. Maciolek

5

Answered . There are two basic options: 1. convince the prosecutor that, based on your characteristics, the totality of your circumstances that you deserve a better deal. 2. make the prosecutor work hard by fighting your case so that he has incentive to ease up and be more reasonable.
    The full answer is much more complicated and would require much more information, but those are the basics of getting a more favorable compromise.
    Pleading guilty to a serious felony charge as a first offender may have a very significant impact on your life. You should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately to assist you.

2. Nicholas C. Zales

4

Answered . You need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. If you cannot afford one you could apply for a free one from the State Public Defender's office.

3. Clayton C. Griessmeyer

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer. Most lawyers have knowledge of various other options that the d.a. might consider. Lawyers will also be able to spot potential defenses that you may not realize. Get a lawyer (public defender if you don't have money) sooner than later. It is easier to get a good offer early than it is to change a da's mind/ try to get them to contradict themself with a better offer later on in the case. Depending on your age, you will also want to consider expungment in any offer along with many other things.