What Penalties could I face for SSI address fraud?

Asked over 4 years ago - New York, NY

I've been receiving SSI benefits for almost 3 years now. I am legitimately disabled and I use the benefits to pay for rent, food and various other living expenses for which my disability makes it difficult for me to handle working, both functionally and on a stress level. The only problem is that when I applied I had to misstate my living arrangements and address to protect my father. Anyway, I believe I've begun to have problems with my address and I also believe that my case is coming up for review this year. If I am found fraudulent for this minor detail, what sort of penalties, or Jail(?) can I reasonably expect?

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . I do not know how you protect your father by providing a wrong address. You can certainly give them the right one now. SSI eligibility is normally reviewed every 3 years so I do not see how this is a problem unless the SSI has said it will review the address information as well. The most common penalty is refund of the payments. On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.