Skip to main content

What paperwork do I need to have if my 16 year old niece is going to move in with me to finish high school?

Ansonia, CT |

My niece is failing at her school where she goes and in speaking with her parents we agreed to let her move to my town and live with me and my family until she finishes high school. Her parents do not want to relinquish all rights just give me the authority to be her guardian to get her into school and oversee all of her care until she finishes.

Attorney Answers 1


You need to file a guardianship petition in order to become court appointed guardians. Then you are legal guardians and you can enroll her in the school and you will have authority to communicate with the school regarding her enrollment and progress.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics