What papers/licenses do I need in order to export saccharin from Spain to the US ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have heard that saccharin is strongly regulated in the US.
My family have a small saccharin factory here in Spain, and we're already exporting to South America, we're considering exports to the US, but we don't know if there's any major problem.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank Anthony Natoli

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hi,

    I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Back in 2010 the US EPA delisted saccarin from the hazzardous substance list, but it is still regulated under a tariff regime.

    I would think the best place to gather this kind of information is directly from your market. Obviously you don't just put it on a container and send it. You first negotiate a deal and those distributors should be a wealth of information.

    Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

    Best regards,
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

    The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the... more
  2. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is true that saccharine went under a lot of scrutiny overall during the 70's. For this kind of business you need to work with an international firm capable of supporting your business project. There are several legal aspects to consider. Not only the issue related to saccharine as substance but many others like customs, international contracts, agency, distribution, trademark registration, company formation and the like. The space here is not sufficient enough to give you a detailed answer. Please consider to hire an attorney. Best

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more
  3. J Scott Scarbrough

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is probably no different than when you started exporting to South America. You set up a company in the USA or you partner with a company already in existance, follow the regulations governing the importation of saccharin, pay your taxes, and everything should be fine.

    Good luck.

    My disclaimer is simply that Avvo already has an adequate disclaimer.
  4. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No major problem: just the normal, everyday issues of setting up a company and distribution channels. You'll also want to figure out the rates that you provide the product at between the business that you own to limit your tax burdens.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,563 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,563 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering