What papers/licenses do I need in order to export saccharin from Spain to the US ?

New York, NY |

I have heard that saccharin is strongly regulated in the US.
My family have a small saccharin factory here in Spain, and we're already exporting to South America, we're considering exports to the US, but we don't know if there's any major problem.

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Back in 2010 the US EPA delisted saccarin from the hazzardous substance list, but it is still regulated under a tariff regime.

I would think the best place to gather this kind of information is directly from your market. Obviously you don't just put it on a container and send it. You first negotiate a deal and those distributors should be a wealth of information.

Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

It is true that saccharine went under a lot of scrutiny overall during the 70's. For this kind of business you need to work with an international firm capable of supporting your business project. There are several legal aspects to consider. Not only the issue related to saccharine as substance but many others like customs, international contracts, agency, distribution, trademark registration, company formation and the like. The space here is not sufficient enough to give you a detailed answer. Please consider to hire an attorney. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

It is probably no different than when you started exporting to South America. You set up a company in the USA or you partner with a company already in existance, follow the regulations governing the importation of saccharin, pay your taxes, and everything should be fine.

My disclaimer is simply that Avvo already has an adequate disclaimer.

No major problem: just the normal, everyday issues of setting up a company and distribution channels. You'll also want to figure out the rates that you provide the product at between the business that you own to limit your tax burdens.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law