What papers/licenses do I need in order to export saccharin from Spain to the US ?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have heard that saccharin is strongly regulated in the US.
My family have a small saccharin factory here in Spain, and we're already exporting to South America, we're considering exports to the US, but we don't know if there's any major problem.

1. Frank Anthony Natoli

3

Answered . Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Back in 2010 the US EPA delisted saccarin from the hazzardous substance list, but it is still regulated under a tariff regime.

I would think the best place to gather this kind of information is directly from your market. Obviously you don't just put it on a container and send it. You first negotiate a deal and those distributors should be a wealth of information.

Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

3

Answered . It is true that saccharine went under a lot of scrutiny overall during the 70's. For this kind of business you need to work with an international firm capable of supporting your business project. There are several legal aspects to consider. Not only the issue related to saccharine as substance but many others like customs, international contracts, agency, distribution, trademark registration, company formation and the like. The space here is not sufficient enough to give you a detailed answer. Please consider to hire an attorney. Best

3. J Scott Scarbrough

3

Answered . It is probably no different than when you started exporting to South America. You set up a company in the USA or you partner with a company already in existance, follow the regulations governing the importation of saccharin, pay your taxes, and everything should be fine.

My disclaimer is simply that Avvo already has an adequate disclaimer.
  4. Todd Matthew Heine

1

Answered . No major problem: just the normal, everyday issues of setting up a company and distribution channels. You'll also want to figure out the rates that you provide the product at between the business that you own to limit your tax burdens.