WHAT PAPERS AND DOCUMENTS DO i need TO GET HOUSE?

Bronx, NY |

MY MOTHER PASSED 10 YEARS AGO, MY GRANDMOTHER OUT LIVED HER.
SHE JUST PASSED AWAY. SHE LEFT THE HOUSE TO MY MOTHER AND I. MY FATHER, HER HUSBAND IS STILL LIVING. I HAVE TWO SIBLINGS. THEY WERE NOT MENTION. WHAT NOW?

GRANDMOTHER LIVED IN N.C. AND I LIVE IN NY. THANK YOU. MY FATHER WAS MARRIED TO MY MOTHER WHO NAME IS ON THE HOUSE ALSO. DO MY FATHER INHERIT HOUSE BEFORE SIBLINGS? GRANDMOTHER DID NOT HAVE A WILL OUR NAMES WAS ON THE DEED.

1. You will need the will and a copy of her death certificate at a minimum. I suggest you retain an attorney to file a probate petition in surrogates court. Once letters testamentary are issued the executor of your grandmothers estate will than have the power to transfer title to you via an executors deed.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

2. Assuming your grandmother left the house to you and your mother in her Will, whomever is named as the executor in the Will needs to file a probate petition in the surrogate's court. Depending on the wording in your grandmother's Will, you may own the house outright or own only half with your siblings owning the other half. You (or whomever is the named executor) should consult with an attorney who does estate administration. My firm handles such matters. Good luck to you.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

3. Contact an estates attorney so you can settle the estate.

Wills and estates topics