What other routes/avenues can i take if my US citizen spouse won't sponsor, help or cooperate with me to gain status...if any?

Asked 5 months ago - Saint Louis, MO

My husband is a US citizen we have been married for three years. He is going to file for divorce soon as we are no longer together or living together. We have two kids a one year old and a three year old. I entered the US legally via airline from Bermuda on a tourist visa which is now expired by a few years. He refuses to help me in any way shape or form and I am beyond frustrated as to what i can do. Please inform me of any other avenues I can take to gain status if there are any at all.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

1

Answered . Violence Against Women's Act, much better known under its acronym "VAWA". Google it. Refusal on the part of a (male!) spouse to sponsor wife for the green card also constitutes some form of (psychological cruelty) abuse. Better not seek "pro-bono" services on this one and at the very least pay a consultation fee to a real immigration lawyer with successful experience with many, many VAWA cases.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

5

Answered . Bermuda is one of my favorite places ever! Sorry, I had to let you know that. To answer your question: you do not state if you ever applied for a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen during the 3 years you were married. It appears from the wording of your question that this was not done. There may (MAY - no guarantees) be other options available but they are very delicate and fact-specific and would require a personal consultation in detail with an attorney of your choice. On another note, you should probably also consult a family attorney to protect your rights to have shared custody with the children.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . There is nothing in your fact description that suggests you would be eligible to apply for any immigration status in the USA.

4. Yvonne F. Koopman

4

Answered . Generally, people qualify for permanent resident status (green card) through sponsorship by an employer or close relative. If you suffered abuse during your marriage, you may be able to self-petition in certain circumstances. Consult with an immigration attorney about the options that may be available to you.

5. Kent Andrew Devenport

4

Answered . Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately you cannot compel your husband to submit an application on your behalf. As mentioned by my colleague, you may have other options but those will need to be discussed further with an experienced immigration attorney and are case and fact specific. Best of luck.

6. Megan Anne Lantz

1

Answered . Please consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine your options. You may be eligible to self-petition under the Violence Against Women Act. It is difficult to determine whether you have any recourse based on the facts you've presented. Good luck!

7. Paul Christopher Hannaford

1

Answered . Hi what you may and may not be able to do would depend on some more facts. You may be able to find some relief under VAWA. I would suggest consulting with an Immigration Attorney to review all your options if any.