Skip to main content

What other documents should I present to judge besides adoption papers, to adoption grandchild?

Jefferson, GA |
Filed under: Family law

We are paternal grandparents. Both mother and father are in full agreement to have us adopt, Is special needs 9 year old child.
What other documents will help show the judge placement with his paternal grandparents will be in his best interest?

Attorney Answers 3


You may be ordered to do a criminal background check, fingerprints and a GAL interview

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is almost impossible to do an adoption without an attorney. Almost 0% of pro se adoptions are granted. Indeed, adoption law is so technical, and the requirements of each judge vary, that probably 95% of lawyers lack the experience to do one. Do yourself a favor and don't ruin your chance of success by not getting counsel. Unless the requisite consents, affidavits, forms, disclosures and so on are prefect (and there are no "forms" anywhere for this), you may be very disappointed. With a lawyer this should be fairly quick and easy.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman)

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Call attorney Juli Wisotsky in Athens.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics