What options does a nurse when she is required to work in ridiculously understaffed situations .

I am an 11 - 7 and pm - am RN at a nursing home . I have avg 65 patients most nights with 3 can's . 5 - 7 feeding tubes a various kinds of iv's at any time . We have mostly elderly residents but more and more we have rehab ( drug ) who are much younger . 3 med carts . Sometimes we will have a nurse to come in and work one med cart between 4 : 30 and 5 : amain . But one nurse is responsible for all residents and all procedures and medications and charting . I told don and don that it is not safe for the nurse or the residents and that i would have to turn in my wk notice and she said that she would take me off the schedule and call me if she was going to have 2 nurses coming in . So basically i guess she fired me .

Haleyville, AL -

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Kenneth Lee LaBore

Nursing Home Abuse / Neglect Lawyer - Minneapolis, MN

I would let the department of health know and/or the board of nursing know of your concerns. You may actually be required to make a report to protect the residents as a "mandated reporter"

Many accidents in nursing homes are the direct result of understaffing.

Sponsored Listing
Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Nursing Home Abuse / Neglect Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Report this to Dept of Health.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Marian S. Rosen

Marian S. Rosen

Nursing Home Abuse / Neglect Lawyer - Houston, TX

You can report anonymously to the Department of Health (or whatever Department in your State regulates Nursing Homes.) Some States have minimum requirements for staff caring for patients.
Your License may be jeopardized working under present understaffed circumstances.
You may also want to report to the Licensing Board of Nursing in your State.
Without knowing more details, there may be a cause of action for retaliation because the DON essentially "fired" you.
You are to be admired for standing up for the safety and rights of your patients.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.