What options does a nurse when she is required to work in ridiculously understaffed situations .

Haleyville, AL |

I am an 11 - 7 and pm - am RN at a nursing home . I have avg 65 patients most nights with 3 can's . 5 - 7 feeding tubes a various kinds of iv's at any time . We have mostly elderly residents but more and more we have rehab ( drug ) who are much younger . 3 med carts . Sometimes we will have a nurse to come in and work one med cart between 4 : 30 and 5 : amain . But one nurse is responsible for all residents and all procedures and medications and charting . I told don and don that it is not safe for the nurse or the residents and that i would have to turn in my wk notice and she said that she would take me off the schedule and call me if she was going to have 2 nurses coming in . So basically i guess she fired me .

Suppose to say between 430am and 530am and don and adon not don and don. Also it is my 2wk notice.

1. I would let the department of health know and/or the board of nursing know of your concerns. You may actually be required to make a report to protect the residents as a "mandated reporter"

Many accidents in nursing homes are the direct result of understaffing.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

2. Report this to Dept of Health.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. You can report anonymously to the Department of Health (or whatever Department in your State regulates Nursing Homes.) Some States have minimum requirements for staff caring for patients.
    Your License may be jeopardized working under present understaffed circumstances.
    You may also want to report to the Licensing Board of Nursing in your State.
    Without knowing more details, there may be a cause of action for retaliation because the DON essentially "fired" you.
    You are to be admired for standing up for the safety and rights of your patients.