What options do you have on a civil lawsuit filed in another state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dyersburg, TN

My son rear ended another vehicle two years ago in VA. He has since gotten out of the military and moved back to TN. He received a court document stating he was being sued for $500,000 plus interest. He has no job or assets, and with the case in VA is having trouble finding someone in TN to represent him? The suit stated he had twenty-one days to respond in legal form or he assumes guilt.

1. Scott Douglas Camassar

8

Answered . If he had insurance, he needs to send the papers to his company and they will hire a lawyer for him and provide a defense. Otherwise he needs to find a lawyer in VA. A TN lawyer can't help.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

8

Answered . I hope he had auto insurance. If he did, he must get all papers to the auto insurance carrier TOMORROW! The carrier is obligated to defend him against the lawsuit.

Best of luck to him and please thank him for his service.

3. Robert V Cornish Jr.

5

1

Answered . Your son needs an attorney licensed in Virginia. While there are plenty of VA licensed attorneys in the Memphis area, you are going to have a hard time finding someone who will be flying or driving 600 miles each way to and from the courthouse. Your son's insurance company should step up to plate and assign an attorney to the case. If there is no insurance involved, your son has a host of other issues -- he would in that case need to get an attorney on his own in VA. Many counties have referral services to attorneys in their area. In addition, several law schools in VA have legal clinics that may be able to assist in directing you to someone who can help.

4. Jason Todd Studinski

7

Answered . Your son should report this wreck to his insurance company. You should also consult a VA lawyer right away.

5. Michael Shemtoub

7

Answered . This is a very serious situation. Please contact a local attorney until you find one who can take on your case. You need to protect your son. Best of Luck.

6. Nathanael Prada

7

Answered . Did your son have insurance at the time of the accident? If he did, then you should forward the complaint to your insurer. They should appoint an attorney to provide your defense. If he did not, or if the insurance refuses to provide an attorney, then it may be time to hire your own counsel to protect your interests.

Pro

7

Answered . He simply needs to send the papers to his insurance company, and they will provide a lawyer to defend.

8. Matthew C Simon

Pro

4

Answered . Like the other attorneys advised, he must advise his insurance company immediately and provide them with copies of the documents received. He should also seek an experienced insurance coverage attorney/personal injury attorney if the insurance company denies him coverage and/or defense counsel. Good luck.

9. George Costas Andriotis

3

Answered . Notify his insurance carrier and they will investigate and defend the case.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.