What options do I have if OPT stem extension is rejected?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

I have applied for OPT stem extension and I got RFE for employment history. I submitted all the documents and now the status says DECISION. I have not received the letter yet. but the status has not moved to post decision activity. does that mean my application is rejected?
I am working in a company in a field related to my study. what options do I have if I get rejection? can I enroll back in university and start studying? my student visa ends in december 2014. My fiance is citizen of USA , we are getting married in July. if I get rejection but get married before I go back to my country, will it create more problems in future?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . You may want to marry your fiancee now. When your fiancee sponsors you for a green card, you will get a work permit in 90 days.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Stuart D.P. Gilgannon

Pro

2

Answered . If you have already made solid plans to get married, you may wish to consider going for a civil ceremony in the near future just so you can get the legal formalities started as far as asjusting your status. You can still keep your wedding plans in July with all your friends and family, but with the security of having your green card in your pocket on the big day. Good luck!

414-758-5245 * www.gilgannonlaw.com * stuart@gilgannonlaw.com
  3. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . If you are getting married to a U.S. citizen, you may wish to file for adjustment of status in the U.S. rather than leaving the country and risking whatever might happen during consular processing.

4. Gen Kimura

2

Answered . If you marry to your USC girl friend, you could adjust your status even if your OPT STEM extension is denied.