What options are there for getting child support or assistance?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I am owed 4 years of back child support and the amount of the child support obligation is actually alot lower than what it should be. I prepared a child support guidelines worksheet with my income and imputed minimum wage for the absent parent and I added the childs daycare and health insurance cost which did not exist 4 years ago. If I have an order and child support is not enforcing it, what can I do to get it enforced and modified upwards? I have contacted Legal Aid in my county and was advised that I do not qualify for assistance, I have applied for food stamps and daycare assistance and was told I make $257.14 a year too much and therefore they can not help me and I can not collect child support or afford an attorney to go to Court for me. HELP PLEASE

I would prefer that child support help but they wont. I have located the other parent for them and they confirmed his address and date of birth and social are all correct and yet nothing is being done! I am struggling to feed my child and keep her enrolled in daycare because I simply can not afford the cost to live. I am seriously at the point that I feel like calling child services on myself simply because every case I have seen them get called and the children are not in harms way, DCF has gone ahead and provided assistance to the mothers based on the child welfare call that was made. I have switched jobs but being that I am the sole caregiver it would not even be worth getting a second job being as though that entire additional income would only cover the child care cost for me to work that 2nd job.

Contact the Florida Department of Revenue. They can assist you with collecting child support.

Also, call the local law schools in your area to see if they can help through their legal clinics. Nova Southeastern University has an excellent law school. The legal clinics provide free help while teaching law students how to practice law under the supervision of licensed attorneys.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at www.stagelaw.com.

You should contact the Department of Revenue to assist you with collecting child support. They may also represent you in a upward modification of child support based on the change of circumtances. You definitely should qualify for reduced child care services. You could also contact the Bar Association to request assistance from a low cost bar attorney if you are unable to hire one.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Again, your local attorney’s are usually the best source of advice, and their answers should be given the highest regard

You may want to contact DOR. However, it seems as though you may need a private attorney to assist you. You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya
www.jmplawyer.com
junior@jmplawyer.com

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

It is always a good idea to give priority consideration to the information provided by your state's attorneys as they are most often the best source of up-to-date information on local law.