What options are there for getting child support or assistance?

Asked over 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

I am owed 4 years of back child support and the amount of the child support obligation is actually alot lower than what it should be. I prepared a child support guidelines worksheet with my income and imputed minimum wage for the absent parent and I added the childs daycare and health insurance cost which did not exist 4 years ago. If I have an order and child support is not enforcing it, what can I do to get it enforced and modified upwards? I have contacted Legal Aid in my county and was advised that I do not qualify for assistance, I have applied for food stamps and daycare assistance and was told I make $257.14 a year too much and therefore they can not help me and I can not collect child support or afford an attorney to go to Court for me. HELP PLEASE

Additional information

I would prefer that child support help but they wont. I have located the other parent for them and they confirmed his address and date of birth and social are all correct and yet nothing is being done! I am struggling to feed my child and keep her enrolled in daycare because I simply can not afford the cost to live. I am seriously at the point that I feel like calling child services on myself simply because every case I have seen them get called and the children are not in harms way, DCF has gone ahead and provided assistance to the mothers based on the child welfare call that was made. I have switched jobs but being that I am the sole caregiver it would not even be worth getting a second job being as though that entire additional income would only cover the child care cost for me to work that 2nd job.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Barbara Billiot Stage


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the Florida Department of Revenue. They can assist you with collecting child support.

    Also, call the local law schools in your area to see if they can help through their legal clinics. Nova Southeastern University has an excellent law school. The legal clinics provide free help while teaching law students how to practice law under the supervision of licensed attorneys.

    This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult... more
  2. Juna Madray Pulayya

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may want to contact DOR. However, it seems as though you may need a private attorney to assist you. You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

    JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya

    Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,952 answers this week

2,858 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,952 answers this week

2,858 attorneys answering