What now? I think an attorney is trying to bluff me. My doctor's attorney has refused me a copy of medical records.

Richmond, KY |

Under KRS 422.317 and I think there is a Federal Law as well, a patients request for medical records cannot be refused if there is no credible threat to that patient or the public.Yet, my doctor's attorney has boldly stepped in and turned down my request. I think it is obvious my doctor's attorney knows that this will be used as evidence against the doctor in a complaint with the Medical Board and Dept. of Human Resources.
Yet, isn't the law the law? I cannot afford an attorney myself and I think this is part of the tactic of bullying me because the attorney knows my financial situation. Can I file a complaint with the Sate Bar? The Medical Board has been vague and will take my complaint but does not act like it wants to take my side in court against an attorney. So, what now?

1. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

2. Something doesnt sound right. Click on Mr. Lassen's link above. That would be an appropriate step. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

3. Follow Mr. Lassen's link above, he has provided you with a quick resource. Best of luck to you.