What needs to happen now?

Asked about 1 year ago - O Fallon, IL

I was leaving Wal-Mart, and I slipped and fell in a puddle of brown liquid in front of the ice maker. This is not an area that I'm sure Wal-Mart cares for. What needs to happen now? Should i worry about filing a law suit?

I am already hurting a bit from the fall. What concerns me the most is that what hurts the most is the ankle i had surgery on back in november 2012

1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

10

Answered . I am not sure what you are asking. If you fell on Walmart property, you should have immediately gone to the customer service counter and made a report. Then you should have immediately sought medical care if you were injured. If you were not injured, there is no possible recovery, anyway.

If you were injured, you should seek the advice of a local personal injury attorney. It is very unlikely that you need to file a lawsuit as the matter could probably be resolved by claim. It is imperative that you not wait to get medical care or to consult an attorney. Any delay in seeking medical care is a huge red flag will cause the claim to be summarily denied.

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

9

Answered . Slip and fall (premises liability) cases are among the toughest to prove. One must show the store either knew or reasonably should have known about the defective condition, substance etc. AND that the person who fell was not aware of it (otherwise, it's an "open and obvious" danger).

Wal-Mart in particular defends these cases rather aggressively. If you have any hope of receiving compensation, get a lawyer immediately.

Ideally, you should always make out a written report, photograph where you fell, and get medical treatment immediately. Whatever you do, make sure you consult with a lawyer as soon as you can and get treated if you are in pain.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

Pro

9

Answered . The store likes to send a ridiculous form letter stating that they have reviewed the camera footage, and that they are not liable, but it is nonsense and outrageous, so disregard the letter. Have a local lawyer investigate if you were injured.

4. Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Pro

7

Answered . You should see a doctor if you were injured. I recommend you contact a lawyer specializing in personal injury cases. It is impossible to tell if you have a case without lots more information.

5. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hoffman's advice.

You didn't disclose whether you were hurt. If you weren't hurt, there is nothing to do. If you have been hurt, seek medical attention immediately. After seeking medical attention, consult a local personal injury lawyer.

Slip and fall cases are challenging and Wal-Mart is not known for it's generosity. A local personal injury lawyer will be able to advise you.

6. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . Make a report to the store - consult a local personal injury attorney immediately

7. Josh P Tolin

5

Answered . First get treated, then hire a local personal injury attorney. Stephen is right. Slip and fall cases are tough liability cases. Hire an experienced personal injury attorney in your area.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now