What needs to be done when moving a business?

Chicago, IL |

I registered my business with the secretary in another state and am moving to Illinois. It is online company and I ship products all over the world. If I am moving to Chicago, but there is no real location of my business, all online, do I need to file any paperwork in Illinois?

Yes. Though your business is online, you may still need to register as a company that is "doing business" in Illinois. You may need to apply for authority to transact business in Illinois. However, that depends on the nature of your business and your legal entity. You say your business is "registered" but you don't say registered as what and where. Is it a Delaware Limited Liability Company (LLC), Nevada subchapter S Corporation (S-Corp), or Wisconsin sole-proprietorship for example? Are you an employee, owner or both? You should contact an attorney to help determine exactly what you need to file with the state of Illinois, especially since you "ship products" internationally.

The answers and information I provide here, via a link, or any other reference do not create an attorney-client relationship. Before acting on any information provided, you should contact an attorney who has experience with your issue Though I may answer questions posed by individuals in other jurisdictions, I am licensed to practice only in the State of Illinois. If you reside outside the State of Illinois and your matter does not relate to a person or property inside the State of Illinois, you should contact counsel in your particular state. IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business