Skip to main content

What name to put on divorce papers?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

my wife took on my last name but never changed her Social Security name or her Driver license name. on the divorce papers i have her using my last name. if she signs using her maiden name can this be a problem?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. She should sign legal documents using her legal name.

  2. Put the married name. If she feels uncomfortable signing and prefers the maiden name, then add f/k/a. , formerly known as and the maiden name.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  3. She should use her legal name. She should make sure that the Final Judgment grants her the ability to return to her maiden name.

    Best Regards,
    Morghan Leia Richardson, Esq.
    Richardson Legal PLLC
    31-08 Broadway, Suite 204
    Astoria, New York 11106
    Tel: 212-537-6744
    Fax: 212-574-3337

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics