Skip to main content

What measures can someone take to fight against a guardianship?

Moorhead, MN |

My girlfriends parents are trying to put her under their guardianship due to her medical condition ITP, which she can treat by getting her own medical, but also that her parents think her so called "impulsive" decisions,-wich only seem impulsice because she dosnt tell everyone her plans, are because of borderline personality disorder. But no, she is a fully functional adult-19 years old. The court hearing is this week, what can she do?

Attorney Answers 2


She can retain her own attorney or ask the court to appoint one for her.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

Mark as helpful


Guardianships are not automatic, and courts take this process seriously. While the procedures vary from state to state, I can tell you that, in Georgia, the court will require that a doctor or social worker examine the individual to determine whether there is a need for a guardianship. In addition, there are circumstances in which the court will appoint an attorney to represent the rights of the proposed ward.

I agree that your friend needs to hire an attorney ASAP if one has not been appointed for her. In preparation for her meeting with the attorney, I would have her identify those people who have seen her take care of her medical condition and have her bring any medical records showing that she has been taking care of her medical problems.

Good luck!

This is not intended as legal advice and should only be used for informational purposes only. You should never believe any information that you receive on the internet, especially information that is probably being provided in the late evening hours when I should be sleeping.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics