What makes Chapter 13 bankruptcy different from Chapter 7?

Asked over 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

My wife and I need to file for bankruptcy, but don't know which to choose, and even know what either of those things mean. Is this something any bankruptcy attorney can help us decide?

1. Diane L Drain

Pro

9

Answered . Yes, you should talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding whether bankruptcy will help you in your unique situation. Most all consumer attorneys offer an initial free consultation. Below is a link to a series of free videos that explain the basics of bankruptcy.

Let me know if you would like a free consultation.

2. Thomas John Cesta

Pro

8

Answered . You should listen to Ms. Drain. Nearly all bankruptcy attorneys offer free consultations where they can advise you on the different chapters. You may qualify for a Chapter 7, but if a Chapter 13 is the better option for you then you can choose that. You can look at my guide, which is one of the links below; but for the pros and cons of each chapter as they apply to your situation, you need to consult with an attorney.

3. Scott L Greeves

7

Answered . It sounds like you need to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer. The AZ lawyers who have responded to you here on AVVO, including me, can all probably help you. So, call 2 or 3 of us and hire whomever you're most comfortable with.

Mr. Greeves is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Arizona. His office is in Tempe. His phone number is 480-422-1850 or his email address is scott@gprlaw.net. His website is www.grattorneys.com.

4. Sidney Joseph Diamond

7

Answered . A chapter 7 is a liquidation type of bankruptcy in which you request that your debts be foregiven except for debts secured by property you wish to keep and non-dischargeable debts like taxes. It is called a fresh start bankruptcy. A chapter 13 bankruptcy is a proceedings in which you agree to pay some or all of your debts back in monthly payments over a period of 3 to 5 years. This type of bankruptcy is called a wage earnerts plan.

5. Derek R. Caldwell

Pro

6

Answered . You should consult an attorney. Any competent bankruptcy attorney will advise you of the major differences between the two in much more detail than we can here. The most simplified difference is that a Ch7 provides a nearly instant discharge of debt and Ch13 requires you to pay money to a Ch13 trustee for a period of time who will then make payments on your behalf to your creditors, both secured (mortgages, car payments) and unsecured (credit cards, signature loans, medical bills).

6. James Portman Webster

Pro

4

Answered . If you visit an attorney who does not talk about both types of bankruptcy, you should probably not go back.

Even if it does not make sense for the situation, I explain both types of bankruptcy. This is so clients can understand why a Chapter makes more sense.

Jim Webster
    www.jpwlegal.com

1845 S. Dobson Rd. Ste 201
    Mesa, AZ 85202

(480) 464-4667
    Jim@jpwlegal.com

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

7. Walter C Oney Jr

5

Answered . Bankruptcy attorneys have a positive duty to explain your different filing options. By all means talk to an attorney. You should expect to pay for the education, however. I don't offer free consultations, for example, because my time and knowledge are my stock in trade, and they're valuable.

8. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

5

Answered . Consult an attorney probably isn't the answer you are looking for. So to add in my 2 cents worth, you have to qualify financially to file either a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13.

In a Chapter 7, you must show that you don't have enough money to pay even a fraction of your debts off over a 5 year period. The more you owe, the more money you can have left over. For most of my clients, that means no more than $150/month is left after paying necessary basic living expenses. Not partying at the Palms, gambling or taking vacations.

In Chapter 13, you must show that you do have money left over to pay a portion of your debts after paying your necessary basic living expenses. If you have certain types of debts, Chapter 13 can be very attractive because it allows you to eliminate or pay off these debts at 0% interest which you cannot do in a Chapter 7.

Hope this perspective helps!