What Licenses /permits/ etc. do I need to legally start a Jell-o Shot catering business in Ohio?

Asked about 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

I wish to start my own business producing / selling / catering Jell-o shots here in Northern Ohio. I would like to set up a business webpage, listing my products (along with pricing). I would like to target bar owners, as well as, other patrons of legal age wishing to acquire my services for "Special Events" (ie: College graduations, Bachelorette parties, wedding receptions, and the like. Obviously, I would be making the deliveries myself, as I plan on starting small and being the only employee until my business begins to take off steadily. How can I best protect myself as far as legalities go concerning my patrons are of legal drinking age (21 years old), and what all licenses / permits would I need to acquire before my Business is ready for it's first sale? Thank you!! =)

1. Matthew Adam Pek

Answered . *Certificate of Authority to do Business in the State of Ohio;

*Incorporation of Your Business to limit yourself from personal liability (ie, create an LLC, S-Corp., corporation, etc.) - BOTH OF THESE REQUIRED TO OPEN BANK ACCOUNTS IN YOUR BUSINESS NAME

*Obtain a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) - which is the social security # for your business.

AND, if you're dealing with food,

*Several Permits from your local city/municipality's Dept. of Consumer Affairs, such as
    *A foodhandler's license (A REQUIREMENT IN EVERY STATE IF YOUR'RE SERVING EDIBLES)
    *A liquor license (VERY DIFFICULT, AND COSTLY - REQUIRE A LAWYER IF YOU'RE SERVING ALCOHOL TO OBTAIN A FULL (LIQUOR WINE BEER) OR LIMITED (JUST WINE BEER) LIQUOR LICENSE, which, as a prerequisite to submitting such application to the State Liquor Authority, you must first obtain approval from the local community board for the zone in which your business will be selling its jello-shots).

(this is not an exhaustive list - just a first hand account from a lawyer in NYC who started his own food concession and restaurant business, and obtained all permits required therefor).

Hope this helps!

Best,
    Matthew A. Pek, Esq.

2. Mark Raafat Malek

Pro

Answered . Let's not forget about a trademark license if you have any desire to use the "Jell-O" trademark in the name of your goods.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.