What Licenses /permits/ etc. do I need to legally start a Jell-o Shot catering business in Ohio?

Cleveland, OH |

I wish to start my own business producing / selling / catering Jell-o shots here in Northern Ohio. I would like to set up a business webpage, listing my products (along with pricing). I would like to target bar owners, as well as, other patrons of legal age wishing to acquire my services for "Special Events" (ie: College graduations, Bachelorette parties, wedding receptions, and the like. Obviously, I would be making the deliveries myself, as I plan on starting small and being the only employee until my business begins to take off steadily. How can I best protect myself as far as legalities go concerning my patrons are of legal drinking age (21 years old), and what all licenses / permits would I need to acquire before my Business is ready for it's first sale? Thank you!! =)

*Certificate of Authority to do Business in the State of Ohio;

*Incorporation of Your Business to limit yourself from personal liability (ie, create an LLC, S-Corp., corporation, etc.) - BOTH OF THESE REQUIRED TO OPEN BANK ACCOUNTS IN YOUR BUSINESS NAME

*Obtain a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) - which is the social security # for your business.

AND, if you're dealing with food,

*Several Permits from your local city/municipality's Dept. of Consumer Affairs, such as
*A foodhandler's license (A REQUIREMENT IN EVERY STATE IF YOUR'RE SERVING EDIBLES)
*A liquor license (VERY DIFFICULT, AND COSTLY - REQUIRE A LAWYER IF YOU'RE SERVING ALCOHOL TO OBTAIN A FULL (LIQUOR WINE BEER) OR LIMITED (JUST WINE BEER) LIQUOR LICENSE, which, as a prerequisite to submitting such application to the State Liquor Authority, you must first obtain approval from the local community board for the zone in which your business will be selling its jello-shots).

(this is not an exhaustive list - just a first hand account from a lawyer in NYC who started his own food concession and restaurant business, and obtained all permits required therefor).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Matthew A. Pek, Esq.

Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.

Let's not forget about a trademark license if you have any desire to use the "Jell-O" trademark in the name of your goods.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business