Skip to main content

What level of penalty is there for food stamp fraud in Kentucky?

Louisville, KY |

I left the state in 2011 and 'forgot' to tell the state. After two months I signed up for food stamps in new state and was still receiving it in the old state (KY).
Last week I received a call from an investigator for Kentucky that asked if I knew I was receiving food stamps for 6 months beyond when I left? I said no.

Would this be a misdemeanor or a felony if they decide to prosecute? Do not have the money to repay them even if I could right now.
Please give the statute in your response if yuo can, thanks.

Attorney Answers 2


Do not give anymore information to the police; they are not your friend. In fact, they are looking to convict you and put you in jail. Contact an attorney in KY and discuss the matter with them.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Depending on the statute charged, this will probably be a felony in the state of KY. Hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. There is no statute of limitations on felonies in KY.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics