What legal steps can I take against cyber-stalking/harassment and hacking?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

My girlfriend's ex-boyfriend is a computer programmer, and has himself claimed he's "good at this" sort of thing (getting around internet security) has recently hacked into several email accounts (including our joint account) and her social media accounts as well such as facebook, twitter, instagram etc.
He has also hacked into her friend's Skype account and doctored a conversation between them and forwarded it to me to indicate infidelity. He's open about taking control of these accounts to me, and has even done so in the past. I want this to stop, and I'm contemplating filing a complaint with the IC3, but I was wondering if they'd bother helping, or if we'll have to deal with this for as long as he feels we should?

Thank you all in advance.
(If it matters, he lives in Georgia)

1. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Report him and his activity to the police. Bring some relevant evidence with you to support your claims, such as e-mails, web postings, etc. OR, hire an attorney to send a cease & desist letter to him. I'd try the police first. Good luck.

Call me for a free consultation at 727-712-3333, or visit me at www.TampaConsumerLawyer.com
  2. David J. McCormick

5

1

Answered . I would start with the police. Hopefully you have some proof that you can show them so they know what type of person they are dealing with.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . Yes involve the police

4. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

3

1

Answered . Did he really get access to the accounts or just fake you out with an image or doctored transcript?

If he did actually gain access to the accounts, he did not "hack" facebook. While it isn't completely impossible ... it is impossible.
    He was able to access her accounts because either
    1. He either knows all her passwords
    2. guessed them
    3. She saved her passwords on his computer when she used it to login.
    4. He has a keyboard logger installed on the computer your girlfriend uses. A keyboard logger records activity on a computer and then emails the activity to someone.

The solution is - change all the passwords on a computer other than her own, DO NOT log into anything on her computer until it is scanned for malware or re-imaged. Just turn it off and don't touch it.

2. Give the police the opportunity to look at the computer for malware. After they look at it bring your girlfriend's computer to a computer technician and have them re-image the operating system. If you have a really competent computer technician they can try cleaning it, but if a big box store like best buy is your only option, re-image.

Save everything important like homework and pictures before you re-image the OS because you will loose everything, but that is the only way to reliably get rid of malware.

Pro

3

Answered . Call the police to report.

6. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

1

1

Answered . The law is on your side and you have many remedies for his many types of misconduct. You might even have a criminal black mail complaint against him.

The cheapest way to start would be to have a lawyer send the Ex a cease and desist letter. While it has no legal force on its own, it could scare the ex in to stopping.

I suggest you start by consulting with a knowledgeable attorney. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.
    _________________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us