Skip to main content

What legal right do I have to retrieve my belongings for my father in laws house via a verbal aggreement for them to be stored

Fresno, CA |

My wife and I lived with her disabled father for nearly a year and a half, after he demanded an increase of $500 in rent, we moved out. My wife had a verbal aggreement with him that we would leave some of our bigger items in his garage and return for them when we could get a house rather than apartment. 1 year later, several attempts to retrieve our belongings including at least a half dozen left voicemails attempting to make arrangements to pick up our belongings, he answers the door and tells us that he sold our refrigerator 3 months after we moved out and that we owe him storage fees for the other items and that he figures he will keep them as payment.
What are my options for retrieving my belongings if he is not willing to negotiate or accept the profits from my sold refrigerator?

Attorney Answers 1


You could sue him in small claims although if it's a family dispute you could just hire a real estate lawyer to send a letter. That usually gets it done.

I'm sorry that you're going through this.

You can always negotiate it.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics