What legal recourse do I have against the seller of a vehilce i purchased private party in the State of California?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Ana, CA

My wife purchased a car and went to go get it smogged to transfer the title, but the check engine light came on while she was driving to the smog station. The shop owner informed her that it is the seller's responsibilty to get the vehicle smogged and to complete whatever repairs are required in order for the car to pass smog. The repairs totalled $2,400 and the seller only wants to pay for half of it.

1. Carl H Starrett II

2

Answered . The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance. If the seller won't pay, you can take the seller to small claims court.

2. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

Answered . Your best bet in this situation is going to be a demand letter from a local attorney or a small claims action against the seller.