What legal recourse do I have against my HOA, specifically the HOA President, for not performing his fiduciary duties?

Glendale, CA |

While trying to get FHA approval for HOA so mom could get a reverse mortgage, it has come to my attention that the HOA President isn't doing his job . He doesn't hold meetings. He makes all decision on his own without consulting the homeowners. He holds no elections. We have no board of directors or any other officers for that matter. He handles all financial matters--both deposits and expenses. He provides no yearly budget, income and expense statement, etc. HOA has no reserve budget or account--just a single account with a balance of less than $1,000. We are 12 units paying $245.00 each a month. Only major expenses are water, rubbish, landscaping, and maintenance (if you can even call if that). How can he be forced to disclose how money is spent, and force him to be more transparent.

You have many remedies under the Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act. You can retain an attorney to force the association to comply with that law or you can read up on the act yourself. A good place to start is with the specific ADR requirements in your CC&Rs and/or Rules and Regulations.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Not specific to your state, but I'd urge you to consult your HOA documents regarding the right to a financial audit and/or special meetings of the HOA. If you can't force action internally, obtain the services and advice of an experienced California attorney.

**Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer! ***This Reply is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. The Asker of the Question is urged to seek the advice of a professional in the area in question before taking any action.

State, local, and municipal law topics