What legal questions to ask before entering a coparenting situation with someone who also wants to become a biological parent?

San Diego, CA |

I am about to enter into a coparenting situation with a man who, like me, wants to become a biological parent. He will provide sperm donation & I plan to do self-insemination. We have drafted a coparenting agreement for joint legal custody citing California law and using the CA child support calculator. What other legal items do we need to consider before entering into this unique and mutually desired agreement?

1. There are a lot of things that you'd need to work through before deciding to enter into something like this with another person (stranger?). I vehemently recommend consulting with a family law attorney to help you two through the process.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.