What legal options do I have? Is there anywhere I can complain, and how much power they have to help?

Asked 7 months ago - Newark, NJ

I had a car accident over two months ago in NJ, and I was 100% NOT in fault (I am not a NJ resident although I have NJ plates for my car that I leave at my property in NJ). The other driver in fault is a NJ resident. I only have liability coverage.
The other driver’s insurance company is refusing to pay for the car rental that they reserved for me. The rental company told me that the driver of a rental car is responsible for the rental cost if the insurance company who made the reservation decides not to pay.
Not only the insurance company didn’t pay for the whole repair, now they stuck me with a $500 rental bill, putting me in more trouble. What legal options do I have? Is there anywhere I can complain, and how much power they have to help?

1. Michael David Lindner Jr

Pro

4

Answered . you have a number of issues in this post which are unclear, and which would warrant hiring a NJ attorney to handle for you. Even if it cost you a few dollars, letting an attorney handle this would eliminate all of the stress that you have been going through. What seems stressful and imposing to you, is extremely basic and easy for an experienced car accident attorney to handle, and most likely would have it resolved already, and probably would have saved you money, even after figuring in any attorney fees.

Insurance companies are not your friend, and when you are nor represented, they often take advantage. Hiring an attorney puts that advantage back to you, or at a minimum, levels the playing field.

Pro

3

Answered . Small claims court is typically a good option.

3. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

2

Answered . you should send this to your insurance company and let them sort it out first.

4. William J Popovich

1

Answered . I'm concerned with the "I have NJ plates" statement. Your car is registered in only one state. If it is NJ, you must have NJ insurance coverage.
    When you sign for the rental car typically like a doctor's office when insurance doesn't pay, you state that you will be responsible. When the car was called no determination of how much you were covered for or liability would be made so they could not know if the rental would be paid.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . The part of your post concerning a rental vehicle is unclear. It sounds like you accepted partial payment and therefore may be stuck with the results. If not you can sue the other driver to get what you are entitled to.

6. Robert Bruce Kopelson

Answered . if you signed the rental contract, you are probably liable for the bill. Then you sue the ins co and/or the driver.