Skip to main content

What legal help are there for lack of bullying & harassment investigation by the nursing school administration at my univ.?

Honolulu, HI |

I started clinical at a hospital where I was the only male student in my group. The clinical instructor picked on me, told me to do things that the other female students didn't have to do, and was very harsh grading my assignments. I ended up being transferred to another clinical group. This instructor has a history of mistreating and discriminating against certain students. Fast forward to this past semester, several students in my group ostracized me, pushed me maliciously without saying excuse me, etc. Informed nursing associate dean about this, and he told me to go student counseling. He still continues to refuse to investigate or to sit down to talk to these students. Even the main university's judicial affair office prefers that the nursing admin handle this. What can I do?

Attorney Answers 1


Your school is not responsible for addressing rude behavior of other students. Conduct such as ostracizing, bumping into you without begging your pardon, etc. do not constitute "bullying" or other unlawful conduct and the school is not legally obligated to investigate or intervene on these issues.

The "history" of the instructor you complain about is irrelevant. What matters is whether this instructor discriminates against you in an unlawful way. This post does not describe any such conduct by this administrator.

Based just on what you have written here, it seems likely that the referral to student counseling is a sound response and you should consider following that advice as a first resort.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics