What Legal documents to we need filed with the state for a startup business?

Asked 8 months ago - Fort Worth, TX

I have just started a company with a partner and we are trying to make sure we have all the legal documents (LLC, sales and use tax, franchise tax, DBA, etc.). What other documents should we need?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Neil Newton


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You are encouraged to contact an attorney for assistance. If indeed a Texas LLC is the correct form of business, then you would be required to file the Certificate of Formation. However, you also need a Company Agreement and an EIN. Other documents will be required depending upon the nature of your business.

    Good luck!

    The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own... more
  2. Kevin Mark Jones

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Depends on which state you intend to start the business (It doesn't have to be a Texas entity). You need a good strong partnership agreement before you go any farther. That is, assuming you and your partner are friends, and want to remain friends. Get a written contract between you two regarding how the business is to function, roles, profit and loss split, contributions, indemnities, etc.

    I am an attorney licensed to practice in Texas, Louisiana and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.... more
  3. John James Morrison

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . That all depends on the state in which you are doing business. See a lawyer experienced in these matters for your state.

    John Morrison

    No attorney-client relationship exists. IRS Circular 230 Notice: No advice in this communication, including any... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,770 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,770 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering