What legal documents and licenses do I need to start a business in the State of Texas?

Irving, TX |

I am starting a business and want to know the proper legal order in which to take first, to get my business legalized. Can you please help!

1. The answer will depend on what type of business you plan to operate. Some businesses require professional licenses or permits, for example. Generally speaking, you'll first need to decide whether to incorporate or not. Incorporating is not a necessity for every business, but the pros and cons of incorporating are something worth discussing with an attorney. This decision also has tax implications, and you may need to consult with a CPA as well. If you do wind up incorporating, an attorney can assist you in preparing and filing the required documents with the Texas Secretary of State and in drafting bylaws and any other required documents that may be necessary. Second, you'll need to decide what name you want to do business under. I would recommend that you have an attorney assist you in finding out whether anyone else is using a similar name and take the steps to register the business name. Other things to discuss with an attorney might be whether you need a sales tax permit and whether there is a need for a trademark.

2. What you need to do is based on the business you want to start. Not knowing what that business is, I cannot comment any further.

3. You can start a business without any legal documents. You don't need to have one of us lawyers charge you a bunch of money to start a business. Not necessarily the smartest thing to do depending on your business, but no, you don't have to have some special legal documents. Consider, however, if you want to avoid personal liabilities that might come up because of the business you do. Yes, you should get some kind of insurance including liability insurance and truth be told that is usually enough for a fledgling business. Most PI attorneys are fine with getting the insurance limits rather than chasing someone around the state to see if they have any money. On the other hand, again depending on the type of business you have, you might need to consider protection from personal liability other than personal injury and wrong ful death. Frankly, it all depends on what you have in the way of money to start your business. Most new businesses don't have much money and those of us lawyers that think we can charge you $400 per hour to tell you how to be smart just aren't very smart, we're greedy. If you want some basic advice give me a call and I won't charge you a dime. I love seeing new businesses develop. If things work out then you can pay me a bunch of money to make sure you are protected from liability and everything is wonderful. Until then, let's see how we can get you up and running. This is officially labelled as an unorthodox answer.

Remember that most legal issues may be more complex and require more information to answer than what you can provide in this forum. This is not a substitute for contacting an attorney of your choice to get legal advice.

4. Congratulations on making the decision to start your own business. There isn't one direct path to legally start a business. Depending upon the activities, goals, and purpose of your business, a business attorney would be able to lay down a road map.You should discuss your business with a business attorney. Many attorneys have free initial consultations.

Best of luck to you!

The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own set of unique circumstances that cannot be adequately addressed without consultation. You are strongly advised to hire an attorney licensed to practice law in your state to represent you.

Business topics