What legal documentation do i need to recognize transfer of dog ownership?

Asked about 5 years ago - New York, NY

I am adopting a dog from somebody and I want to obtain legal rights to the dog. Some sort of document to acknowledge the transfer of ownership in the event that the current owner wants the dog back. Would a notarized letter suffice? If so what steps should i take?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Is this an adoption from an adoption agency or rescue? If so, they should provide the forms to you. However, keep in mind that many adoption/rescues require that they have the right of first refusal, meaning that if you can no longer keep the dog you have to give them the option of taking the dog back first before you can give/sell him to someone else, and/or maintain the right to take the dog back in the case of abuse, mistreatment, or violation of the terms of the contract.

    If this is from a private person, then a letter, signed by both parties acknowledging that ownership is transferred to you, should suffice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,423 answers this week

2,793 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,423 answers this week

2,793 attorneys answering