What legal consequences would I face if I presented a faked ID-DL to obtain a new membership after being banned, if caught.

Asked about 1 year ago - Madison, WI

I was banned from a national chain of workout facilities. Without going into the details, I would like to rejoin from a different location. If I presented a faked ID-driver's license trying to rejoin and it was discovered, either now or in the future, what legal consequences could I face? FYI, I was never issued a trespassing warning, just asked to leave and had my membership revoked.

1. Derek H. Goodman

Answered . To start, Forgery in the State of Wisconsin is a class H felony punishable by up to 6 years in prison. So, that is the potential maximum penalty for having a forged state ID.

But not withstanding hypothetical penalties, you need to ask yourself why you want to go back so badly. There must be plenty of other gyms that you can go to. Frankly, this seems like a lot of work and risk just go to the gym.

2. Molly K. Bushman

Answered . If the faked ID actually contains another person's biographical information, it would also be punishable as identity theft under federal and state law. Under Wisconsin law, identity theft is a Class H Felony, currently punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment not to exceed 6 years, or both. Granted, those are maximum sentences, but not something to mess around with.