What legal consequence would my guardian face, if I could proof he misused my inheritance?

Madison, NJ |

I am 22. I inherited a company, property and money from my uncle, whom I never knew before I turned 18. I did not know about the inheritance that time. My guardian kept it in secret. He got me signed an authorization for himself. He misused a part of the money . I was not aware what I signed. I have just found it out. I should have took over the company when I turned 21. We got engaged when I turned 21. I broke up with him now. Can I proof that I did not know what I signed? What will happen with him?

1. No one here can really answer your questions for you without a lot more information. If you were "duped" into signing somethign or if during the time you were not a legal adult someone took advantage of you economically you almost certainly would have rights. At this point I would be concerned about how long it has been and when you discovered (or should have discovered) the impropriety. I would RUN to a lawyer experienced in estate litigation and financial fraud as soon as you can to see what your rights are.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

2. I think you need to chat with an attorney in your area that is knowledgable about rights of minors as they turn 18, and how long the now 18-yr old has to challenge things they signed before they were 18.

How much money was misused?

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

3. If you can prove that you were defrauded or otherwise a victim of wrongdoing, you may have a claim against your guardian, but sounds like proof could be difficult.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

Probate topics