Skip to main content

What legal action can I take if my accountant is not giving me my tax documents and hurting my school financial aid?

New York, NY |

I dealt with a new recommended accountant this tax season. Coordinated services with him via email since mid january. The working relationship grew sour because he neglected to do the services i needed, has poor communication, and lied about the action that he was taking. 2 Mnths later, he has finally processed my personal and I recently received the returns in my bank account but he is still dragging to send me the hard copy of the return documents, despite telling me several times that they were being sent out. I have given him ample notice and he has still been very neglectful and dismissive in his handling of me and is now sabotaging my school funding. Without the return documents, my financial aid forms for my school are incomplete and not considered for funds designation. It showed

that I was eligible for full coverage for the next semester when i did my preliminary financial aid form submissions for FAFSA and TAP in January, but the amount of grants money available is delegated on a first come first serve basis and the longer he takes to send me the documents the more of my grants that are being compromised. What are my options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, I assume you do not owe him money. There may be lien rights in your state which could allow him to hold your documents until you pay him if you owe him money. If that is not the case, I would contact him and threaten him with legal action or indicate that you have hired an attorney. A simple letter from an attorney should get him to return your tax documents. You may also want to consider filing a grievance with the regulatory body that oversees the conduct and accounting licenses of accountants in New York.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer