What legal action can I take if I disagree with the personal representatives decision on the sale price of probate property?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hood River, OR

I reside on the property, I do not pay rent. I am 50% heir. Property is in Hood River, 8.3 acres, irrigation rights, & on a creek. The asking & accepted price is $249,000. This property has a 3 bdr. 2. m.home w/seperate garage and attached 2nd shed. Other properties in this area w/o any structures are listed at: 1 acre=142,500, 1 acre=135,000 or 2 acres=250,000 or 5 acres=275,000 or 10 acres=450,000. 1 lot over, our property lines touch, there is a home (with flood damage from the creek about 10 years ago) is a 4 bdr.1 b.=1 acre going for 300,000.
I feel the p. representative and the probate lawyer are both just trying to get this done and over with and get paid, @ my expense.
Do I have any options to file a petitiion/or anything I can do?
closing is Friday.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Diane L Gruber

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Take ALL the probate documents, including the Final Account to which you allude, to a local probate attorney NOW. If the 20-day deadline is this Friday, you don't have any time to spare. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with Attorney Gruber. You are seriously under the gun, here. Get this information to a lawyer right away to see if anything can be done. One option, if you believe that the price is seriously under FMV is to offer to buy out the other owner. Since you essentially own 50% anyway, your price would be $125k, less any closing costs and selling expenses. If the property is worth what you think it is, you could make a killing.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  3. Charles Adam Shultz

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with both other attorneys. You have the right to object but must do so timely and properly. You really should be represented by an attorney in putting forth the objections.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or... more

Related Topics

Buying a short sale

A short sale is an alternative to foreclosure in which you sell property for less than you owe on it, and your lender agrees to forgive the remaining balance.

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,247 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,247 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering