What latitude does a "step parent" have in disciplining my children?

Asked 9 months ago - Boca Raton, FL

Is a step parent able to discipline my children? I realize they can set house rules but shouldn't the discipline be up to their resident parent?

1. Jordan Gerber

3

Best Answer

Answered . It depends on whether there is a provision governing same in your parenting plan. If not, then you should have a conversation with your ex. If the discipline regards some type of punishment that you are uncomfortable with you certainly have reason to object and grounds to do so.

2. Brent Allan Rose

4

Answered . The stepparent has as much latitude as the parents allow. The law doesn't designate how much latitude the stepparent may be given in disciplining stepchildren.

3. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

2

Answered . It depends on several factors. First, the type of discipline. If it is physical discipline, then a step parent should most likely not take part in that. However, other than that, it depends on how your ex spouse and the new step parent run their household. There is no "law" that governs this question.